Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To teach, or not to teach? That is the question!

I suppose you can call me a nerd.

Here we are in the second to last week of August. What does this mean, nationwide? It's almost Fall, yes. Christmas is right around the corner, yes. Oooh! Halloween? Yes... but no. I'm talking about back to school people!

This is officially the first semester since 2003 that I haven't been in school. (Well, I take that back. I took one semester off when AJ was born. Let's not count that one though.) So everyone is back to school.... except for me. I'm actually kinda-almost-sorta sad about this. This is where the nerdy name calling comes in. Get this: I actually ENJOYED school the past 4 semesters. Yikes! How does that happen? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I truly enjoyed all of my education classes. I enjoyed creating lesson plans, teaching lessons, preparing materials, researching fun activities... and now it's all done with. Just like that. But at least I have a Bachelor's Degree to show for it all.

Which brings me to my next point. Earlier this week I went in and helped my cooperating teacher (from my student teaching) set up her new classroom. :: Cue depression.:: Being in the midst of the excitement of the new school year preparation reminded me of how badly I wish I was setting up my OWN classroom. I have so many cute ideas for my own classroom and at this point, who knows when I will put them to use?

Now that school is starting in one week, (unless there is some miracle of God from CCSD), I'm pretty much out of the running for a teaching position for the 2010-2011 school year. I've been saying that if a position was offered to me, that I would take it... but then I think about how much I missed out on being home with AJ and Aiden while I student taught. It's such a difficult decision for me. I find myself getting all gung-ho and searching for teaching positions in private schools as well as public schools and then I realize that I haven't thought it through all the way. What would I do with the boys? How would the boys do without mama all day long?

I have a few short/long-term goals in mind as far as teaching goes:
1.) To obtain my substitute license and secure some sub jobs periodically from friends and colleagues I have
2.) To obtain my professional license and HOPEFULLY be offered a position for the 2011-2012 school year (that sounds scary!)

I'm already making steady progress on goal #1 and I go in for an interview on Monday! If I can just satisfy my desire and urge to teach a few times a month by subbing, I think I can make it until next school year when I actively pursue my teaching career. By then, AJ will be 3 1/2 and in pre-school, and Aiden will be 1 1/2 and in a daycare program.

I have all my faith in God and I know that he will lead my future and my career on the path he has set for me. It's just the "waiting in the meantime" that is the killer!

Until next time,
Mama Brown(ie)

No comments:

Post a Comment