Friday, August 20, 2010

Sloooow Down!

People always told me that everything with the second child goes much faster than it did with the first child. Maybe it's because you already know what to expect with the 2nd child. Maybe it's because you're so busy chasing the first child all day that the time escapes you. Maybe it's because the first child is moving the hands on the clock which makes it SEEM like the time flies by faster. (Okay, so this is a little far-fetched, but it could happen!)

No matter what the explanation, the fact of the matter is that time REALLY DOES go by much faster with the second child.

My case in point: this little guy!



AB4 is not even six months old yet. Heck, he's barely five and a half months old yet! But he gets up on all fours and rocks back and forth. This tells me that he is about to take flight and start CRAWLING! He is already able to scoot himself to get from point A to point B (and it's pretty funny to watch), but I am nowhere near ready for him to crawl.

I looked back at AB3's baby book to see exactly how old he was when he became mobile, and according to the records, AB3 didn't crawl or scoot until he was 6.5 (almost 7) months old. Which means that AB4 is doing this waaay too soon!

Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of his strength and determination to start moving, but goodness. I want him to be a baby a little longer! Because AB3 was our first child, we were beginners at this parenting thing. I found myself questioning every decision I made, spent countless minutes researching every little thing about babies, and living in fear of germs attacking my poor little baby. Because of all of these little fears, I found that I wasn't able to fully enjoy all of AB3's baby phase. Each new milestone was a new challenge for me (and him), and I spent more time analyzing it than sitting back and enjoying it.

Which brings us to AB4. Now that we've been around the baby block before, we're much more relaxed. A funny little side-story to support this statement: In June when I was helping work the school carnival during my student teaching, there was a little boy that was playing on a metal folding chair. He tripped on a part of it and hit his head. I gasped (it's the motherly instinct inside of me) and his father reached over, smirked, and said: "Eh, it's okay. He's the second one, so we're not too worried." I couldn't help but laugh, but he was right. Of course you worry, and you care, and you're concerned, but it's nowhere near the level of severity as it was with the first child.

The point of this post is to re-iterate how much more I love and adore the baby stage with AB4. It's like I'm seeing all of his "firsts" through a new set of eyes. It's amazing to me how you can have multiple children, and they each have their own, distinct little personality. Every new little achievement for AB4 brings me personal victory and excitement for him. Even AB3 joins in on the cheers and encourages him when he's trying to do something new.

I will end this post with some lyrics from a song that is a tear jerker for me every single time I hear it because it really puts into perspective how fast the time goes by when you're a parent. So here it is ladies and gentlemen.

"You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins.....
"You're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast. These are some good times. So take a good look around. You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this."

Until Next Time,
Mama Brown(ie)

2 comments:

  1. I love that trace adkins song! I just look at myself and my little brother ( who is not so little, taller then me, buff, and driving now) and look at my brother and I can't belive hes already grown up, he was 3 like last week, and I cringe at the thought of him driving haha I feel like I was just a little kid the other day, I can't imagine how my parents feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool that you can compare that to your own relationship with your brother Britt, but wait until you have kids of your own! You will respect your parents and feel closer to them than ever. I speak from experience! :-)

    ReplyDelete