Friday, September 24, 2010

Reality of Food.

Take a look at my pictures. I am no small person.

Do you know why?

Because I love food.

Do you know what I love more than food? (besides my babies and my husband, because those are obvious givens here!)

Food shows.

Adam and I watch/DVR so many food shows. We especially like the reality food shows.

Some of our favorites are: The Next Food Network Star, Dinner: Impossible, MasterChef, Hell's Kitchen (even though it's SO scripted and drama central... I think it's cause I like me some Gordon Ramsay...that's besides the point here though), The Great Food Truck Race, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Diners-DriveIns & Dives... and the list goes on.

As much as I love watching the yumminess that these shows feature and focus on, I have one question I would like to ask.

Why, oh why, are these shows always aired in the evening? We always watch them after we've made/eaten/cleaned up after dinner and we snuggle up on the couch and watch faithfully.

The minute a plate is shown on the screen, my mouth salivates. Each commercial break leads me to the pantry or refrigerator to see what I can conjure up to satisfy whatever desire I'm having right then.

Clearly, I'm not hungry.... but I feel the urge to snack or eat as a result of watching these food shows. And sometimes I don't even have an urge to eat anything but I feel like it's wrong to sit there and watch a food show without food in my hand (...yes, I realize this is a problem and I am attending meetings to help me with this, haha) It's kind of like watching a church service on TV and not having the urge to pray. It just doesn't happen.

Because there is no way around my snacking issues, I've tried something new this past week. Now when we sit down to watch a food show, I pop a piece of mint gum in my mouth before it starts. Does it help curb my snacking? Yes... because nothing tastes as good after you've had minty gum in your mouth. Does it take away my desire to eat? Sort of. Does it give me fresh breath? You betcha! Hey.... you can't always have it all! :-)

Until Next Time,
Mama Brown(ie)

No comments:

Post a Comment