Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Time.... or lack thereof.

As many of you may or may not know, I started my 12 weeks of student teaching Monday. This means that I am away from my boys for over 8 hours each day. This has been the hardest part of it all so far. I've been away from them for hours at a time - but it was always with the satisfaction of knowing that the following day would be spent with them. I won't know what this feels like again until August. :-(

So this brings me to my current blog posting.

There are so many things I need to make/prepare/organize/arrange/set out/put together/think about before I can leave the house. I'm sure that whoever is watching the boys is able to fill a sippy cup with juice, make breakfast, warm up a bottle, pick out clothing, etc. etc., but my OCD ways force me to spend countless minutes in the morning arranging and putting things together for the boys for the day.

As a mom, I find myself trying to squeeze and make time shorter. I try to convince myself that a 30 minute activity or procedure could be squeezed into a 10 minute time block and then when it doesn't work that way, I run around like a chicken with my head cut off. Like anyone else, I learn from my mistakes. So this morning, I set my alarm 20 minutes earlier than usual so that I could accommodate my morning routine. And wouldn't you know it? Those 20 minutes came and went... and I was still short of time. Even if I set my alarm clock for an hour earlier, I will still find ways of using up every single minute.

As I was rushing around tonight trying to prepare as much as I could ahead of time, I realized that time doesn't stop for anyone. We're given 24 hours every single day. We choose what we do with them. I have so much in my life to be thankful for that I'm going to make sure I take the time to stop and smell the diapers. Err, I mean... roses. I enter my own little world when I have bottles to wash, mail to sort through, bills to pay, coffee to brew, and a lunch to pack. I'm so focused on these tasks that I lose sight of what really matters in my life..... my boys.

Tonight as I was walking to the kitchen to wash some bottles, AJ stopped me and asked me to dance with him. I started to tell him to "give mommy a few minutes" when I finally realized that the bottles could wait to be washed. My little son-shine actually WANTED to do something with his mommy, and I wasn't going to pass that opportunity up. So we danced. And I loved every single second of it.

And when the song was finished.... I washed those bottles. ::Sigh::

Until next time,
Mama Brown(ie)

2 comments:

  1. omg...you made me cry! It is so hard to put your mind past all that needs to be done, but it is so true that the opportunties we have to spend with our little ones are the only things that really matter. What a little cutie pie AJ is...nothing like dancing with your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right Kristin. Nothing else matters but my boys and although I know that in my heart, I need to remind myself of that when I let myself get too busy!!

    ReplyDelete