Sunday, May 16, 2010

Watch out Preschool! Here comes a Genius!

AJ might not be able to identify all the colors in a crayon box.

AJ might not be able to recite the alphabet, or count in sequence. (And I'm gonna be a teacher, I know!)

But this boy sure does know his cars.

We used to drive down the street and AJ would identify cars based on who drives them. Any Hyundai on the road would be "Kiki's Car" (she drives a Hyundai Accent). Any Nissan would be "Baba's Car" (my mom drives a Nissan Altima). Any Chevy would be mama's car (I drive a Chevy Tahoe). Any Dodge Truck would be "Joey's Truck" (Joey is AJ's bff. He doesn't drive yet, but his mom and dad have a Dodge Ram!) Repeat this exact scenario every single time we got in the car and drove anywhere.

Although my son isn't a certified genius, he is advancing his intelligence in vehicle identification. We spent about 15 minutes circling the parking lot yesterday waiting for Adam to come out of Smith's grocery store. We couldn't just park and wait because Aiden wasn't having that. So driving in circles it was. Every car we stopped in front of demanded an explanation for AJ.

AJ: "Look Mommy! Baba Car!"
Me: "Yes, AJ! Good Job! That's a Nissan."
AJ: "Ya mommy. Baba car is Nissan."

Repeat this for every Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Hyundai and Volkswagon in the parking lot. Once we drove through and I helped him identify the cars, we did another drive around and I asked him to identify the cars by their names. And by golly - he got them ALL right! The cuteness of all of this lies in his pronunciation of the names. I promise I will try to record it next time this happens.

I'm contemplating writing a letter to preschool admissions officers to ask them to consider including vehicle identification to their entrance exams. Because if all they ask for are colors, numbers and alphabet reciting - we are screwed!

Until next time,
Mama Brown(ie)

5 comments:

  1. Him and Seneca are going to be great together ;) Next, Seneca will teach him "Tesla"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...that is too cute! We love AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly think knowledge of toy cars is the true indicator of genius! In fact I am writing to MENSA so Harmon can be admitted ;) for similar signs of super inteligence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana - I will work on Tesla with him... unfortunatley there aren't any on our roads, so he might not be able to identify them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hope to change that very soon ;)

    ReplyDelete