Friday, July 16, 2010

24/7.... and then some!

I'm determined to one day print off this blog and turn it into some kind of a book that stays in our family for years to come. (this means I should probably start writing more!) With that said, I want to make sure I document this crazy time in the Brown(ie) household with as many details as I can remember. Although this crazy, sleep-deprived, busy, hectic thing I call my life is so insane right now, I know that in a few months I will look back and somehow suffer amnesia and forget how wild things really were.

Let's go back to Fall 2009. I was 5 months pregnant with AB4 and taking 22 college credits. All at the same time. And AJ was 1 1/2. This also involved a month long course held on Friday nights and all day Saturday. Aaaand I also had to complete 60 hours of classroom observations. Somehow I survived. Every single naptime/bedtime/spare second was spent doing homework, writing lesson plans, designing things for classes. Not to mention I still had a 2300 square foot house to clean, laundry to do for 3 people, meals to put on the table, and a nursery to design and put together for our newest family member!

Then there was Spring 2009. It was my last full semester of classes and the final push before I would be done! This semester also included 22 credits. At this point I was at the end of my pregnancy. This also involved a different month long course held every Friday night and all day Saturday for a month straight. It was a little easier this time around with only 20 classroom observation hours. March 11th brought on a new challenge: Aiden was born. My amazing little son had perfect timing and was born a week before my scheduled school Spring Break which helped me relax and try to enjoy those first few days of his entrance into the world. His heart problems and stay in the NICU for 12 days added a whole new level of stress into my life though. I had piles of homework to get through, a house to clean, a busy little AJ to chase around, and a newborn that I stressed and worried about every second of everyday. By the graces of God, an absolutely amazing beyond words mom who helped tremendously with watching the boys, I survived my final college semesters.... and I even managed to do so with a 4.0 GPA which gave me a Summa Cum Laude distinction at graduation.

Which brings me to now - Summer 2010. I'm in my final weeks of student teaching and whoa! What a journey it has been! My days start out at 4:40am with a shower and getting myself and two boys ready for the day. Getting two boys ready includes: selecting their outfits, making sippy cups (one milk, one juice), making baby bottles for Aiden (4-6oz bottles), changing diapers, dressing them, putting them into car seats, grabbing favorite toys, making my own lunch, and trying to remember a breakfast bar and my energy drink! I drop them off to my mama (who is my saving grace and the greatest gift in my life) and am at school everyday by 7:30. I get stuff ready for the day, attend meetings, assemble assignments, etc. until school starts. I leave school at 3:45 and after picking up the boys and I get home, it's already nearly 5:00. After dinner, washing bottles, playing "cars" with AJ, singing "Oompa Loompa" to Aiden, giving baths, and batting an eye at my loving husband, I sit down to grade papers and plan lessons for the following week. I don't get to bed until nearly 10:30, wake up with AJ when he needs to eat at night, and then I'm up by 4:40 the next day for the same thing all over again. Do you see why I said it's insane? And this is just an average day with nothing "additional" going on. Monday nights I have a seminar class for my student teaching which doesn't get get me home until 7pm. And then toss in those days where there is an extra curricular activity at school, or Adam's car needs to be picked up from the mechanic, or I have to run to Sam's Club to buy some more formula, or...., or....., or...... I could go on and on.

With all this said, I wouldn't trade any of my craziness for the world. My type-A personality gives me an advantage to this madness because I have lists, reminders, and notes galore to get me through it all. Not to mention, I have an amazing family to lean on that encourages me, supports me, helps me, and loves me. I hope one day my boys can look back at the sacrifices I made, the obstacles I overcame and hurdles I jumped to make my own dreams come true. I want them to have a mommy they can be proud of... and AJ and Aiden - I hope I haven't let you down.

Until Next Time,
Mama Brown(ie)

No comments:

Post a Comment